Google Drive Max File Size, Finding And Deleting Such Files, Saving Space
Google Drive helps you set up essentially a virtual office without any physical servers to store your massive data. With the cloud, there’s no need to deploy a separate IT system. It is economical and can be used remotely regardless of the time, location and device.
Wait a minute. Why delete files from Google Drive before we’re not sure if there are any duplicates or no? With so many devices syncing data, duplicates are a reality. Use Cloud Duplicate Finder to delete the duplicates NOW!
Cloud Duplicate Finder is totally safe. It uses the official Google Drive API to access your data.
Google Drive Max File Size Limit
The free plan of Google Drive provides 15 GB of storage to the users. To store additional files, you’ll need to upgrade your subscription-plan.
The maximum upload file size limit is 5 TB. In other words, you can upload files no larger than 5 TB. The Google Drive max upload file size limit is more than sufficient for not just home users but also for a large majority of businesses.
Sort Files by Sizes & Find Large Files
Google Drive has an in-house feature that lets you sort files by their sizes. So there’s no need to download any additional plug-in from the Google Chrome Store.
- Open the Google Drive website.
- Click on Storage on the left-hand side panel.
- Google Drive will automatically sort files in your account by their sizes. The largest files will appear first, while the smallest will appear at bottom.
- You can right-click on each large file you don’t need and select the Delete option.
Caution: Any contents in the Google Drive’s Trash folders will be permanently deleted after 30 days. Make sure to restore files within the stipulated time period. You can no longer recover deleted Google Drive files from the Trash folder after this timeframe.
Delete Large Email Attachments
Your Gmail attachments comprise the storage quota allocated to your Google account. You can delete large email attachments to free-up space and make room for new files.
- Open Gmail.
- In the Search Box, type the following: (Replace 20 with the file size of your preference)
- Press Enter.
- Use the checkbox on the top to select all emails or select custom emails of your preference and then click on the Delete icon.
Delete Large Duplicate Files
Duplicate files are a major space-hogging factor. If your cloud account is synced with multiple devices, multiple copies of the same files from each device can cause duplication. Eventually, your Google Drive cloud account runs into low storage and you’re forced to delete a few files or upgrade for additional storage.
Thankfully, there’s a way to fix duplicates in Google Drive without downloading or knee-jerk deletion of your data. Sorcim’s Cloud Duplicate Finder is designed to automatically find duplicate files on major cloud service platforms such as Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Box and Amazon S3. You can review the list manually and take action on duplicates that you don’t need.
- Fully cloud-based. There’s no need to download/ install any software.
- Safe & secure: Cloud Duplicate Finder uses the official APIs from Google Drive. Your data is completely yours. You can sign-out after completing for the peace of your mind.
- Encrypted: To protect the privacy and security of your data, the data is encrypted with the highest security standards.
- Automatic file selections: You can mark or unmark files of your choice using automatic file selection options available.
- In-house File Previewing: When you select a file, CDF automatically previews it. You don’t need to download any files just to view their contents.
- Visit the Cloud Duplicate Finder website.
- Create a new account online and sign-in.
- Click on the Google Drive tab on the top.
- Click on Load New Drive and login to your Google Drive account.
- If your account is protected with 2FA, you’ll need to verify your identity. You can do so by entering the requested OTP or confirming the prompt displayed on your smartphone’s screen.
- Check the top level folder on the left-hand side navigation panel.
- Click on the Scan button to start the duplicate search.
- Wait for a while. Once the scan is finished, click on Select Duplicates and choose a pattern of your choice (for example, Retain the newest file in each group, Retain the oldest file in each group).
- Click on Select Action.
- Choose Permanent Delete or Move to Folder.
Other Ways To Free-Up Storage
Disconnect Linked Apps
Many Web apps provide integration with Google Drive. Once integrated, any data created by the app is stored on your Google Drive storage. For example, until a few years ago, your WhatsApp chat messages and media (videos and images) were saved to Google Drive and it impacted your storage quota limits, although it is no longer the case anymore. If you’re using any such apps that make use of your Google Drive storage, consider disconnecting them as follows:
- Open Google Drive.
- Click on the Settings icon on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Click on the Manage Apps tab.
- One by one disable integration with the apps you no longer use.
Vikas is a technology enthusiast who loves writing articles on computers and technology. He writes on various topics related to software, software reviews, troubleshooting and tips & tricks to make people’s digital lives better.